Reviewing a film like The Dark Knight Rises isn’t really necessary. If you liked Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, you should see this movie in the theater. If you haven’t see the other films, you should watch the first two at home and then go see this one on the big screen. So instead of a review, I thought I’d share some spoiler-free thoughts on the film.
- Christian Bale is finally more interesting to watch as Bruce Wayne in this film than he is as Batman
- Anne Hathaway sidestepped many pitfalls and made Selina Kyle a fresh version of a potentially cliched character
- The guilt portrayed by various characters in this film was gut-wrenching
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt was the absolute perfect actor for the role he played
- Tom Hardy as Bane should get a Best Supporting Actor nomination
- Christopher Nolan inserted humor at all the right times to keep this film from becoming too self-serious
- The sound mix included some fresh and interesting choices, such as the scene in which Batman meets Bane
- The color palette and cinematography made Gotham, despite being an under-siege hell hole, a place I will miss visiting now that this series has concluded
Nolan and company could’ve easily stopped making these films after The Dark Knight since it was so well done and highly regarded, but I am glad they decided to see the trilogy through to this thrilling and perfect conclusion.